Part of our training is on the "10 Rules of Happiness" by President David O. McKay, who was president of the Church from 1951 to 1970. President McKay was the Prophet during our youth. He was a great leader who inspired others to rise to new spiritual heights.
President Kelly carried this list with him when he was a young man serving in the Italy North Mission 40 years ago. Pondering the list brought him greater purpose and joy. Here is David O. McKay's inspired rules for a happy and abundant life:
1. Develop yourself by self-discipline.
2. Joy comes through creation--sorrow through destruction. Every living thing can grow: use the world wisely to realize soul growth.
3. Do things which are hard to do.
4. Entertain upbuilding thoughts. What you think about when you do not have to think shows what you really are.
5. Do your best this hour, and you will do better the next.
6. Be true to those who trust you.
7. Pray for wisdom, courage, and a kind heart.
8. Give heed to God's messages through inspiration. If self-indulgence, jealousy, or worry have deadened your response, pray to the Lord to wipe out these impediments.
9. True friends enrich life. If you would have friends, be one.